Thousands witness ‘Thrissur Pooram’

The historic ‘Thrissur Pooram,’ considered the mother of all temple festivals in Kerala, was held in all its traditional glory with thousands of people witnessing the spectacle amid tight security.

The parade and face-to-face meeting of 30 richly caparisoned elephants–15 each from the Paramekkavu and Thiruvambady temples– besides ‘kudamattam’, change of colourful ornamental silk parasols in quick succession by people mounted atop it, was a real visual treat.

Spectators including foreigners, had gathered at the Thekkinkadu ground to witness the spectacle.

‘Panchavadyam’ and ‘Pandimelam’ , the music ensembles in front of elephants by the percussionists and the display of ‘nettipattams’, the golden caparisons, ‘venchamaram’, the ornamental fan made of peacock feathers and ‘muthukkuda’, the decorative umbrellas enthralled the audience.

‘Thrissur Pooram’ had its origin in 1798, through a royal edict of the then Raja Rama Varma, popularly known as Shakthan Thampuran, a powerful ruler of the erstwhile princely state of Cochin.

The edict entrusted two local temples — Paramekkavu and Thiruvambady — as the main sponsors of the festivities to be conducted in a competitive spirit.

Besides the main ‘poorams’ of the two temples, small ‘poorams’ from nearby temples converged at the sanctum sanctorum of the famous Vadakkunnathan temple.

(Agencies)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Make Correct Pattern to CommentWordPress CAPTCHA